I want to share some information about the Competition with you.
- Registration for the Competition is at the Music School on October 9 from 8 AM to 6 PM.
- At the opening concert, Yosuke SHIMIZU (Japan), winner of the 4th category of the 9th David Popper International Cello Competition in 2021, and the Mendelssohn Chamber Orchestra, led by Péter Kováts, will play.
- On October, 9 at 6 PM, we will draw lots for the order of cellists in each category, which will remain in effect in the second round as well.
- The order of the contestants will be published on Facebook and the website (http://www.popper-cello-competition.com/en), please keep an eye on these platforms during the competition. We will let you know all the information here.
- You can find this information on the advertising surfaces at the Thury Castle (Várpalota, Hunyadi Mátyás tér 1.) and the Music School (Várpalota, Kossuth u. 6.) at the venue of the competition.
- The competition starts with the 2nd category. 3rd, 4th and 5th categorys follows. The youngest (1st category) will then compete on Thursday. For those competitors who did not advance to the II.round, they will have the opportunity to consult with the seven-member international jury to ask them for guidance and opinions.
- You can practice with piano accompaniment during the competition in the Music School every day from 8 AM to 8 PM. Practice rooms must be booked on the spreadsheet displayed on the door. Everyone can reserve it for a maximum of 2 hours.
- The piano accompanists of the competition will have their room, where you can find them. Everyone should arrive on time for the piano rehearsals. Please bring the piano score with you!
- You can practice without a piano at the Thury High School (Várpalota, Szent Imre u. 9) every day from 3 PM to 6 PM.
- October 9 (Monday) is reserved only for category 2nd and 3rd competitors for practicing. We will send the schedule for those who requested a piano accompanist soon. Those who bring their piano accompanist can book a room at the Music School.
- The exact order of the rehearsals for the 1st, 4th, and 5th categories will be posted in the Music School after the draw.
- Everyone should arrive at the Thury Castle on time before the performance. Before going on stage, two rooms are available for warm-up.
- In each category, at the end of the rounds, the jury hands over the participation certificate, and a joint photo is taken. Please bring your instrument.
- In the first round, at the end of each category, the jury decides on the list of the finalists, which we publish as soon as possible.
- In Thury Castle and the Music School, young volunteers help you find your way around, feel free to ask them for help.
We look forward to welcoming you. Good preparation!
Gabriella Szili, Director of the competition
Dear Guests, Dear Cellists,
We wouldn’t think 23 years ago, that Várpalota can become world famous for hosting the David Popper International Cello Competition. We only hoped that the belief, the alliance, the importance, and beauty of the matter will affect many to help and contribute.
For us, adults, the most important aim is to back the youth with all our knowledge and action to help them fulfill their abilities and knowledge.
The intention to start this competition was to make it possible for young cellists to compete internationally, to learn how other nations teach, learn about other schools, and with all this knowledge broaden their horizons.
Because of the growing number of competitors, the information reaching more and more places, the re-entering cellists, and the application of students of older competitors, we thought that this competition is not only important to us, but to many more.
We welcome everyone to the 10th David Popper International Cello Competition!
Director and founder of the competition, cello teacher